Sunday, November 26, 2006

thoughts on November 25, International Day Against Violence Against Women


...there are two ways of going about liberation: one, of course, is the political way, changing the laws and fighting for our equalities. There are so many ways of doing it.But the other I stress simply because it is the one I know: the psychological way, which is the removal of obstacles so that you can create your own freedom and you don`t have to ask for it. You don`t have to wait for it to be given to you...women who created their own freedom. They didn`t demand it, they didn`t ask for it.They created it. Something in themselves made them independent women, and this kind of independence I stress. Because the other feeling that has been taught women really is the blaming of society or the blaming of men for the situation in which we find ourselves. Now I found through psychology that when I put the blame on others I felt I was practically saying: I am a helpless, passive victim." And it is depressing thought! So the day I saw beyong that, at a certain moment in psychology, I saw: No, not at all. I am the master of my destiny." When I feel free and independent and behave in a certain way towards a relationship, that affects the relationship. I can have an effect on it:...It is very easy to blame society or to blame the man, but it actually makes you feel even more helpless. Because that means that you are waiting for the man to liberate you, for the government to liberate you or for history. And that takes a long time. It takes centuries, and it`s too slow for me. We have only one life.
Anais Nin

No comments: